Do you find yourself getting upset or angry with someone? A supplier? A co-worker? A family member? I know I do! Listening to Tony Robbins “Live With Passion” he outlined 7 questions to ask yourself when this happens.
- Am I willing to learn something? Am I willing to do something to make this better?
– Will making this person wrong make them want to help me?
- What is it that is really upsetting me in this situation? What is the specific meaning I link to this?
- Could this be a mis-perception or misinterpretation on my part?
– Do I have all the information needed to be absolutely sure what this means?
- What else could this mean?
– How could I get new, more empowering meanings?
- What do I need, in order to feel good now?
i. Do I need to change my perception?
ii. Do I need to find out more information?
iii. Do I need to understand the other person’s viewpoint or why they did this?
iv. Do I need to know this person cares (for me)?
v. Do I need to get commitment from this person?
vi. Do I need to change the way we are doing something?
vii. Do I need to apologize?
viii. Do I need to remember who this person is?
- How can I communicate my needs in a way that empowers my relationship with this person?
– “I need your help…”
- What is good about this?